Saturday, August 13, 2005

Screwing around in a chess competiton...\o/

On sunday, I was suddenly recalled back into action after being officially retired. "We are lacking people", so says our beloved president. So, as a final act of love for the Chess Club, I signed up to mess around in the competition.

Things didn't go so well. The night before, I was doubtful that we can get the entire 5 team, since I had no idea who one of them was, and the other said flatly that he isn't going.

I was wrong.

We didn't even get the 4 core players, since Tan said that she's down with fever.

Oh well.

The morning started badly, even though I just want to go there, have some fun, get trashed and stuff. However, giving free points wasn't exactly on my mind, as the 4th player of every team got a lovely walkover.

Then, it got worse...

Mistake. After Mistake. After mistake. After mistake.

On games 1, 2, I was clearly winning. Game 4 was a little muddled, but I think I could have held a draw, if it was not for a mistake in moving the rook which allowed a back-rank. Game 3 was one which I defiantely lost, due to (yet again), stupid mistake which allowed my opponent to mate, when I could have delayed it longer.

So, annoyed at all my mistakes, I decided to simply mess around, and just have some fun at (possibily) my last tournament chess game.

Incredibily, I won.

I was pretty much talking cock with my opponent and his teammates. Heck, since the both of us were not in the championship running (We had 1 point after 4 rounds.....), we even offered a quick win for them, at the expense of $5 per person. Since they declined, we all just messed around.

My opponent was obviously tired, since he messed up his english opening. I can't remember what the heck he did, but it was rather funny after 3 moves or something. He kept forgetting to press the clock, and hence, I kept reminding him to press the clock ("I'll be your first and last opponent to tell you to press your clock."), instead of just sitting there and waiting for something to happen like I normally would have. Heck, I even told his team captain how to mate during a King Rook Vs King situation, just for the fun of it. XD

The result? A totally fustrated opponent. For some reason, I found myself up a pawn technically (2 pawns down, but 1 bishop up). He made a mistake and moved into a forced mate, which both of us realised only after I told him what I was about to do, since he was thinking whether to take my h1 pawn or not. Seriously speaking, that was thanks to pure luck, since I was just thinking to check him for fun, not realising that I had a mate in hand. Heck, I didn't even bother to record my moves.

It took me barely 2 minutes of my time, since I was playing Blitz style, using his time to think, to mate him.

Talk about going out with a bang. =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home